Monday, January 26, 2009

I'm kind of a geek

Okay, most of you probably don't know this, but I am a HUGE HUGE fan of the series The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. I have read every single book cover to cover since being introduced to them and essentially stealing the book from a friend in 1999. Tragically Robert Jordan passed away from cardiac amyloidosis in 2007.

He and his wife (who was also his publisher) chose another writer to finish the book and follow the carefully laid out notes for the final book. There are/will be 12 books in total plus I think there are actually a few prequels.

I've read a lot online about them possibly having a movie deal for this etc. I am the first one to say: "DON'T DO IT!

I think this would be absolutely butchered by Hollywood. Unless it's done by someone who has read every single word of every single book they won't get it. They'll start cutting scenes and inserting a bunch of crap that doesn't mean anything. Every word Jordan wrote means something. Perhaps not in the book you're reading at the time, but pick up the next one or two and you will see how even the most seemingly insignificant line actually has a purpose that ties everything together.

The only comment I agreed with was regarding making it into a 30-40 hour mini series. I think it would be even more successful than trying to make it Hollywood. They could really devote the time to character development and to getting the sets perfect. They have the option of using computer graphics for the more "magical" scenes etc. They would acquire income from commercials, plus if praying they directed/casted the mini series correctly would have sky rocketing DVD sales. (Pssst! Larry...We'll be buying the whole set so make sure to budget for it!)

If you like fantasy type novels with a great story I really do recommend reading this series. And you're in luck because you won't have to wait three years (as I have...impatiently I might add) for the final book as it is supposed to be released this year.

No comments: